When you need a hosting service for your Linux server, you’ll want to ensure that your provider is the best and most reliable one with the best features for your needs. Check out my list of top five providers for Linux servers below!
What is Linux Server?
Linux is a Unix-like computer operating system assembled under the model of free and open-source software development and distribution. Linux was created as a free operating system for computers, mainly on desktops, servers, laptops, and other devices like embedded systems.
hosting like Linux is composed entirely of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS), meaning that the source code that tells Linux what to do is available for study or modification by anyone who wishes to do so. The FOSS material applies in all versions of Linux distributions, with some exceptions in minor cases. There are also proprietary versions of GNU/Linux, but those are not written from scratch; they’re often modified versions intended for non-free use only.
List of top 11 Linux Hosting Providers
Those looking to host a Linux server can find myriad options on the market today. However, rather than choosing one of these as-seen-on-TV packages offered by shady companies that offer poor service, it’s worth considering a reputable Linux hosting provider. Here is our list of the 10 best Linux Server Hosting Providers.
Hetzner, a Munich, Germany-based company, was founded in 1999 by Martin Hetzner and Matthias Kettler. Hetzner’s motto is to “offer our customers the highest quality of service at the most competitive prices.” Their unique business model is German engineering, with innovative services and unbeatable support. The result? A hosting business with an excellent reputation, mainly when providing quality Linux hosting or Windows server hosting.
EIG Computing is a company founded in 2006 by Eric Greenberg. Having been in business for nearly a decade, EIG offers its customers industry-leading commercial hosting. EIG is based out of Los Angeles, California, and specializes in virtual private servers (VPS) for Linux and Windows users. They have undergone several significant changes to their business model (including their cloud offerings), but the support they provide remains unmatched. EIG offers dedicated server hosting on its various packages as a special deal.
Based out of Denver, Colorado, DreamHost is a successful hosting company with a strong reputation. Founded in 2000 by Sage Weil & Josh Jones, it offers innovative cloud hosting solutions. DreamHost is the leading Windows-focused Linux virtual server provider. DreamHost offers dedicated and reseller hosting and various web hosting packages using its cloud services.
Read More: Top 6 Open Source Web Hosting Control Panels
Dreamhost offers cloud computing services that include dedicated server hosting features and Linux web hosting packages. They are a member of the Internet Society and the Green Web Foundation. Their customers rave about their customer service, which can be reached 24/7 via email or by phone (although their telephone support has been known to have long wait times).
4. Media Temple
Media Temple was launched in 2004 by Dave Taylor after he lost his job at Geocities. Now based out of New Hampshire, Media Temple is a leading provider of Linux, Windows and Mac hosting technologies. One of their most innovative features is the FreeRepublic.com Hosting Plan they provide (which features port forwarding and a domain name included in the package). They are renowned for the high quality of their customer service.
Webfaction was founded in 2001 by Simon Anderson and is based out of Los Angeles, California. It is a leading provider of Linux hosting with a focus on commercial use. In addition to providing top-notch hosting services, they also have many free applications available – including SSH and email (IMAP + POP3).
Based out of San Antonio, Texas, Rackspace is a substantial hosting company and cloud computing, provider. Founded in 1998 by Richard Yoo, Dirk Elmendorf & Pat Condon. Rackspace has continued to grow over the years – despite being hit with bankruptcy rumors in 2010. They offer dedicated server hosting along with several cloud solutions. Their customers enjoy the fact that they are supporting a green company through their website offerings – including Website Builder and Hosting.
8. Red Hat
Based out of Raleigh, North Carolina, Red Hat offers Linux hosting. It is a leading open source technology provider with a clientele that includes large companies like Netflix and Facebook. Their dedicated hosting solutions are top-notch, with quick data transfer and monitoring. Additionally, they offer cloud hosting that provides scalable server solutions for both virtual machine systems and dedicated server users. The company was founded in 1993 by Robert Young and Marc Ewing.
Linode is another leading Linux hosting provider based out of New York City. Founded in 2008 by Christopher Aker, they offer innovative web hosting services and dedicated server hosting. Similar to other companies on this list, Linode offers several free applications – but the application most often used by their customers is SSH.
HostGator was founded in 2001 in Houston, Texas. It offers a range of Linux packages and dedicated server hosting and cloud computing services. Hostgator is one of the largest hosting companies in the world, operating out of thousands of servers in over thirty data centers. Additionally, they offer WordPress and Joomla web development and email services.
11. Liquid Web
Liquid web, located in Grand Rapids, Michigan, is another top-quality hosting company on our list. They are best known for their WordPress hosting packages – which are cheaper than other similar services. They offer free SSL certificates and free one-click WordPress installation to their clients. The company was founded in 1996 by Raymond Jao.
Recommended Article: Top 9 Best compared Guides for WordPress Hosting Providers
Key Features of Linux Hosting Service
- Profound web hosting – the privacy levels are higher than usual due to this type of hosting not being controlled or owned by a third-party company. This can be useful if you have sensitive information on your website.
- Get unlimited data storage space – this is really important if you’re running a business like an online software store or something similar. There’ll be plenty of images, videos, PDFs, and other large files uploaded.
- Guaranteed uptime – the provider guarantees that your website and server will have a 99.9% uptime. This is no mean feat, plus they also have a money-back guarantee if they do not live up to this promise.
- Multiple data centers – if one data center goes down, your site will still be accessible through another available center.
- Excellent customer service – they provide telephone support 24/7 and they can also help you with any issues that you might have installed the Linux OS, to begin with, not just the set up of your website. This can be really helpful when you’re new to this.
- 24/7 server monitoring – the servers are constantly being monitored to make sure all of them are running, plus they have tools that detect any hardware failure instantly.
- Unlimited live chat with professionals – you can get instant answers to any questions you might have without a phone call. Their live chat is available 24/7 and even on Christmas Day! They also offer remote support.
- Easy to use control panel – they provide a very easy-to-use control panel that’s intuitive and easy to navigate and professional support, so you don’t get stuck or confused. All services are made easy for the newbie yet powerful simultaneously.
- Excellent 24/7 customer care – this is a big one and something essential. They have people available around the clock to help you with your issues, answer any questions, give you advice if needed, or see what’s going on with your account.
I know there’s so much more you could ask for but these are the most important things that stood out as necessary when it comes to top points for Linux hosting.
What is Server Hosting?
Server hosting, or hosting in general, is renting a dedicated server by someone with enough experience and knowledge to set it up and maintain it. There are two ways to host: as a service provider or privately.
As a service provider, you rent out your resources to others who want to use them on their own computers. This is the most common type of hosting. The costs of this kind of hosting are determined by your storage capacity and processor speed.
Privately, you rent out space on your computer for other people to utilize their resources on the same machine.
Opinion on Linux Hosting
This is the conclusion of Linux hosting. In summary, Windows hosting and Linux hosting is an excellent web hosting options. Linux may be a better option for those looking to save money, while those who want more control over their server should go with Windows. All in all, choosing between the two types of web hosting boils down to personal preference.
While many people might think that Windows hosts are a better option for them because they have used Microsoft products most of their lives, this is not always the case when choosing which type of web host to use on your website.